More info: Toomer's Corner is located at the intersection of Magnolia Avenue and College Street, and marks the division between the University campus and downtown Auburn. The corner is named after former State Senator "Shel" Toomer who was a halfback on Auburn's first football team. He founded the corner drug store Toomer's Drugs in 1896 and at that time was the only place with a telegraph machine.
During away football games, staff working at the drug store would throw ticker tape on to the power lines of the intersection, to signify a win. The celebration became known as “rolling the corner” and later developed to covering two Southern Oak trees that flanked the corner with miles of paper streamers on every winning occasion.