More info: The Parliament Building of Quebec is an eight-floor structure and is home to the National Assembly of Quebec located in in the heart of Quebec's Parliament Hill. The building was designed by architect Eugène-Étienne Taché in a Second Empire style and built between 1877 and 1886,
In 1888, a clock at the top of the tower was installed. Two years later, a fountain in front of the entrance, dedicated to the Abenaki, was inaugurated. Four years after that, statues of various political and intellectual figures of importance to Quebec were mounted in niches in the walls of the building.
The Parliament building is symmetrical and is composed of three parts - two side wings each with a small tower, one consecrated to Samuel de Champlain, explorer and founder of Quebec, and the other to Paul Chomedey de Maisonneuve, founder of Montreal; and a 52-metre-tower is placed between these two wings, which, in its turn, is named after Jacques Cartier, who made first contact between the French and what is now Canada.
The Speakers’ Gallery on the ground floor of the Parliament Building displays portraits of all former Speakers of the National Assembly since 1867. They each selected the artist who created their portrait.
The National Assembly Library is open to the public ans has a remarkable setting. The walls, floors, and stairs are covered in 7 types of marble and it is possible to find 50-million-year-old fossilized ammonites and molluscs in the marble of the pillars. The library also houses rare and precious books, the oldest dating back to 1473.